Wisdom teeth are the third molars all the way at the very back of your mouth. In some cases it can be challening to get all the way to the back of the mouth and keep those teeth clean. Most people end up getting cavities or dental tooth decay on their erupted wisdom teeth. Sometimes the wisdom teeth may be partly in the mouth causing a nest of anerobic bacteria to circulate in the mouth. Sometimes the wisdom teeth become infected and you may experience swelling and pain. In many cases the Dentist recommend pulling the wisdom teeth.
Here are a few things to expect if you are having your wisdom teeth pulled.
Before The Extraction (Teeth Pulling)
You will usually meet with the Dentist to discuss your medical history and expectations during the procedure.
During The Extraction
The Dentist usually numbs up your teth with local anesthesia so that way you are comfortable. Laughing gas or nitrous oxide is always available. In some cases, the Dentist can even provide anesthesia that puts you to sleep.
The Dentist gently wiggles the teeth out. Most people only feel light pressure and mild pushing.
After pulling the teeth the Dentist may decide to add artificial bone material into the empty tooth socket and might even suture up the area.
After Teeth Removal
Once the teeth have been successfully pulled the Dentist will provide some post-operative instructions. After the extraction, it is very important that a blood clot forms allowing the area to heal.
Here are a few post-operative instructions you may receive following teeth extraction:
- Bite on a sterile gauze for 30-60 minutes after the extraction to stop the bleeding and start the blood clotting phase.
- Apply an ice pack to your face for at least 24 hours after the extraction to avoid or reduce facial swelling
- Do not Spit, Rinse, Drink through a straw or Smoke for at least one week. This suction action in the mouth can cause the blood clot to rip out.
- A soft diet is recommended for at least one week.
- Avoid physical activity for at least one week and take all medication prescribed.
When seeing the Dentist for any extractions the doctor will take his/her time to fully explain all expectations.
At Tribeca Smiles Dr. Frederick Solomon comfortably pulls wisdom teeth and many patients have reported that he is an amazing and funny dentist.
*Contact us for any questions about wisdom teeth or schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Frederick Solomon. Just mention this blog post.